Don't be intimidated by the thought of entertaining! All it takes is a little bit of planning. Follow this handy guide for answers to some of the most frequently asked party planning questions.
How much wine do I need?
- 750 ml. bottle = five 5 oz. glasses
- 12 bottles (1 case) = one glass each for 60 guests
- Ask a wine steward about available discounts on large wine purhcases!
How should I serve cheese to my guests?
- When preparing a cheese board, always start with a cheese-friendly surface, such as wood, tile or marble.
- As a general guideline when buying cheese for a party, get about 1-1½ ounces per person per cheese.
- Cheeses are best served in odd numbers (arranged according to flavor) with a common theme, like country of origin or type.
- Always use separate knives for each cheese and remember to serve them at room temperature for best flavor.
How many appetizers and hors d'oeuvres should I get?
- Anticipate three pieces per person per appetizer if you are serving them as a start to a larger, more formal meal. Usually in this format, you will not need to serve more than one or two options.
- Heavy hors d'oeuvres parties require quite a bit more. Traditionally, guests will consume a minimum of 10-12 pieces in a 2-2½ hour period.
- In addition to providing individual-sized nibbles, it is always a good idea to consider including one or two composed platters such as fruit, grilled vegetables, antipasto or spinach dip or hummus.