Carve your holiday turkey like a pro with these easy tips from Chef Casey! Watch our video for the full play-by-play, or check out this step-by-step list for a condensed how-to:
Turkey Carving 101
- Remove the truss.
- Remove the whole legs (drumstick and thigh together).
- Remove the breasts.
- Slice and plate the breasts.
- Separate and plate drumsticks.
- Slice or shred thigh meat, then plate.
- Enjoy the fruits of your labor!
- Let your bird rest 30–45 minutes before carving.
- Place a wet towel under your cutting board so it is safe and secure.
- Use a sharp boning knife or chef’s knife, and be careful not to cut yourself.
- Don’t be afraid to use your hands—you’ll have more control when carving.
- Use the wings to make turkey stock! Simply place in a large stock pot with the carved turkey carcass. Cover with water and add onions, carrots, celery, thyme and garlic, then simmer for 1 hour.
The biggest tip of all? Take your time and have fun. Your guests are going to love it!