Carve your holiday turkey like a pro with these easy tips from Chef Casey of Nugget Markets!
Carve your holiday turkey like a pro with these easy tips from Chef Casey, one of our talented chefs de cuisine at Nugget Markets! Watch our video for the full play-by-play, or check out this step-by-step list for a condensed how-to:
Turkey Carving 101
- Remove the truss.
- Remove the whole legs (drumstick and thigh together).
- Remove the breasts.
- Slice and plate the breasts.
- Separate and plate drumsticks.
- Slice or shred thigh meat, then plate.
- Enjoy the fruits of your labor!
- Let your bird rest 30–45 minutes before carving.
- Place a wet towel under your cutting board so it is safe and secure.
- Use a sharp boning knife or chef’s knife, and be careful not to cut yourself.
- Don’t be afraid to use your hands—you’ll have more control when carving.
- Use the wings to make turkey stock! Simply place in a large stock pot with the carved turkey carcass. Cover with water and add onions, carrots, celery, thyme and garlic, then simmer for 1 hour.
The biggest tip of all? Take your time and have fun. Your guests are going to love it!
Article originally published in November of 2019 and updated in November of 2022.