- Prep time
- 10 minutes PT10M
- Cook time
- 20-30 minutes PT30M
- 2 cups
Finish your favorite desserts with this decadent Cappuccino Sauce for a festive winter treat.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
Scald cream, espresso and cinnamon together in a small saucepan; bubbles will form around the edges of the saucepan.
Whip egg yolks together with sugar. Temper yolk mixture by continuously whisking ¼ cup of the cream mixture in a slow, steady stream. Whisk tempered yolk mixture into the remaining cream mixture.
Return saucepan to stovetop over very low heat. Cook until thickened and mixture evenly coats the back of a spoon, about 8-10 minutes.
Pass sauce through a fine sieve strainer and chill in refrigerator. Spoon over your favorite cheesecake or other dessert.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- whip (I)
- whip (I): to beat an item, such as cream or egg whites, to incorporate air.
- temper: to heat gently and gradually. May refer to the process of incorporating hot liquid into a liason to gradually raise its temperature. May also refer to the proper method for melting chocolate or fondant.
- scald: to heat a liquid, usually milk or cream, to just below the boiling point. May also refer to blanching fruits and vegetables.
- <strong>cappuccino:</strong> espresso coffee mixed with foamy hot milk or cream and often flavored with cinnamon.